Friday, June 5, 2009

Why I Left the Country



I recently returned from two-week stay in La Comunida Florida, one of the neighborhoods in Santiago, Chile, but I didn't go there to do the tourist thing, snap some pictures, gawk at some old buildings, and go home.






I went there to see God work miracles.






I saw the old buildings, but I tried to look beyond the architecture to the people living and working inside them. Ten of the fourteen nights I did not sleep between crisp sheets in a hotel, but in a spare bed in a small, colorful house with one of the kindest, closest families I have ever met. My monuments were neighborhood churches. My recreation took place in the plazas as I played with local children and told them how much Christ loves them. For two weeks this city, where the blanket of smog turned the sky blood red at sunset and hungry dogs and people roam the streets, was my home. And it was a beautiful home indeed.


Starting today I'll add a post every day from the journal I kept while I was staying in La Comunida Florida. It certainly is not the same as seeing Chile for yourself, but God can use things far more mundane than a blog to speak to people. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment